Loftus : la salle des rêves

Loftus : la salle des rêves



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

« Il y avait eu une grande maison au centre des jardins, où il ne restait plus que ce fragment de ruine. C'était un endroit boudé par les gens du village, comme il avait été boudé par leurs pères avant eux. Il y avait beaucoup de choses dites à ce sujet, et toutes étaient mauvaises. Personne ne s'en est jamais approché, de jour comme de nuit. Dans le village, c'était synonyme de tout ce qui est impie et affreux.

~ William Hope Hodgson, La maison à la frontière

III. La maison des morts

Le manoir se dressait fièrement au bout de la nouvelle allée 1, de l'autre côté des grilles de fer que la femme avait si bien connu. Une maison autrefois très aimée, elle avait été abandonnée et maudite, comme un cadavre enterré dans un sol impie 2. La demeure mélancolique, abandonnée et désolée, est actuellement une beauté en décomposition d'une époque révolue. Une véritable œuvre d'art des plus beaux 19 e artisans du siècle, aucune dépense n'a été épargnée dans sa reconstruction. Cependant, cela entraînerait finalement sa chute. Tous les efforts devaient être vains car les ténèbres et la peur continueraient toujours à régner, côte à côte, dans ses murs. Et son âme est désormais cachée, derrière des fenêtres barricadées, qui empêchent la lumière et la vie d'y entrer. Si des occupants s'attardent encore, ils sont tout sauf humains.

Cette salle des rêves a changé de nom et de mains plusieurs fois au cours de son existence, bien qu'elle n'ait jamais vraiment été possédée ; du moins, pas par des êtres mortels. En plus des Redmond d'origine normande et plus tard de la famille chanceuse Loftus, il a abrité deux ordres catholiques. Les bénédictines (1917-1935), qui rebaptisèrent la salle en couvent de Sainte-Marie et éduquèrent les religieuses du noviciat et les sœurs de la Providence de l'ordre rosminien (1937). Ce dernier a transformé la salle abandonnée en couvent et école pour jeunes filles et a aménagé une chapelle pour que les habitants assistent à la messe hebdomadaire. Cependant, comme tous les résidents mortels, leur séjour au Hall serait de courte durée, empreint d'amers souvenirs de la mort.

Une fois de plus, le Hall sera abandonné jusqu'à son rachat en 1983 par Michael Devereaux ; il rouvrirait ses portes sous le nom de Loftus Hall Hotel. Cependant, la vie de Michael a été prise dans cette maison. Sa femme, Kay ou Kitty, a continué à résider dans le Hall jusqu'à ce qu'il lui dise de partir. Et c'est ce qu'elle fit, en toute hâte, laissant même des vêtements et des effets personnels. A ne plus jamais revoir. Il semblait que le Hall lui avait épargné la vie. Et vides, encore une fois, nous avons continué à être pris en otage.

Apparemment vacant à première vue, bien que le mal et la mort aient été et ont toujours été les seuls résidents permanents. En tant qu'éternités de ténèbres, ils ont passionnément dévoré toute vie qui viendrait à exister dans ses murs.

Loftus Hall abritait également deux familles remarquables qui ont façonné et contribué à l'histoire du comté de Wexford. La maison historique abrite désormais d'innombrables fantômes et esprits piégés, ainsi qu'un locataire beaucoup plus âgé. La femme avait ressenti cette énergie plus sombre et plus ancienne le jour où je l'avais vue pour la première fois, quand elle m'avait senti alors que nous nous tenions tous les deux près des portes actuelles. Elle n'était pas tout à fait sûre de ce que c'était, mais elle ne pouvait oublier le sentiment de terreur et d'oppression qui la submergeait ; l'obscurité absolue. Elle était convaincue que c'était une force ancienne ; avant l'existence de la salle actuelle, ou d'ailleurs, l'un des bâtiments jamais construits sur ce terrain étoilé. La femme était bien consciente que Loftus Hall occupait un « site des plus inhabituels pour un manoir de campagne en tant que point de repère sombre et exposé qui domine le paysage de la péninsule de Hook ».

***

Le bâtiment actuel est l'une des trois résidences familiales qui ont été construites dans la zone connue sous le nom de Loftus Hall Demesne. Le terme « Demesne » a évolué de « demayn » ou « demeyn » au 14ème siècle, lorsqu'il a été emprunté au droit de la propriété anglo-français. A cette époque, la forme anglo-française était « demeine ». Un « Demesne » peut être décrit comme le terrain entourant une maison ou un manoir, conservé par le propriétaire pour son usage personnel ; il contenait des bâtiments, des jardins, des terres agricoles et des bois. Le parc aux cerfs était la caractéristique la plus distinctive des premiers domaines, peuplé principalement de daims introduits en Irlande par les Anglo-Normands. C'était également le site du puits sacré de Dubhán' (également connu sous le nom de puits de Duffin). On y accédait par notre bien-aimée promenade sur les falaises, balayée par le vent et surplombant les rochers et les vagues érodées qui martelaient la baie Hall. Le puits se trouvait à environ « un demi-mile au nord de Hook Church et tout près des falaises au coin du parc Deer jouxtant le Rathfield no. 13 sur la carte des terres du domaine9. Et bien sûr, au nord de Loftus Hall, et sur une piste droite, se trouvait le tumulus circulaire ou tumulus circulaire que j'avais redouté étant enfant et que l'on peut encore voir aujourd'hui.

***

La résidence de la noble famille Redmond n'avait pris fin qu'entre les mains d'Henry Loftus, par le pillage et la déloyauté et encore plus d'effusion de sang. Ce lieu malheureux que j'avais si bien connu avait été une grande demeure du XVIIe siècle. Ses dépendances, dont la remise et notre jardin clos, nous ont survécu à tous. La maison était à pignon avec deux étages et neuf travées. Elle était couverte d'une lucarne et d'un pignon à fronton raide. Les deux aigles de pierre qui nous guettaient alors, devaient être juchés sur les nouveaux postes de guet de ce lieu de supplice. La demeure possédait un parvis avec de hauts piliers en pierre surmontés de fleurons en boule qui subsistent encore et sont visibles aujourd'hui. Il y avait aussi une salle de tapisserie hantée. Hanté en effet par notre amour ; incapable de mourir, il résidait toujours dans ses murs froids et maintenant sans vie.

La maison d'Anne à l'époque était déjà vieille de plusieurs siècles et bien que belle soit-elle, je ne peux pas dire que je me sois déjà senti à l'aise dans la Grande Salle. Des ombres, des craquements et des gémissements ainsi que des murmures et des grognements ont toujours vécu dans ses murs. Le mal faisait partie de ses fondements et même alors, le manoir décousu abritait de nombreuses âmes et secrets. C'est quelque chose d'inévitable dans un endroit aussi vieux que Loftus Hall. Les vieilles maisons sont énigmatiques. Il va de soi que les propriétés historiques viennent toujours avec d'innombrables invités invisibles et beaucoup de choses restent cachées. Ils deviennent vivants à travers les personnes qui les habitent. Ils respirent, aiment et rêvent de la même manière que les mortels. Se réveiller, avec chaque battement de cœur et regrettant chaque larme alors qu'ils crient en silence. Et si nous écoutons attentivement, nous pourrons peut-être comprendre la signification de ces bruits inexplicables. Avec le temps, les murs se détériorent et leur splendeur s'estompe. Tout ce qui reste alors est leur structure squelettique et leur âme ; les souvenirs éternels de tous ceux qui ont vécu et sont morts à l'intérieur. Et c'est, en substance, ce que sont vraiment les fantômes. Des ombres de ce que nous étions autrefois, mais refusant ou incapables de cesser d'exister. Mais certaines choses ne sont tout simplement pas destinées à durer éternellement ; ce n'est pas naturel. Aussi contre nature et inhumain que ce que nous sommes devenus. Et avec de telles choses, il y a des démons et des monstres. C'est ainsi que les rêves deviennent des cauchemars...

***

Par Helena B. Scott & Steve Meyler

Toutes les images sont la propriété de Steve Meyler et publiées avec autorisation.

Cet article est une série d’extraits de ‘ Loftus : la salle des rêves écrit par Helena B. Scott avec des photographies de Steve Meyler . Lire la suite sur: www.thehallofdreams.com

Remarques:

1 Après avoir examiné les cartes originales du domaine de Loftus Hall telles qu'elles apparaissaient dans l'enquête de 1771 de Fritzell, nous pensons que l'entrée originale du hall précédent se faisait par une allée de Portersgate. La porte précédente aurait été située là où les jardins clos sont comme en témoignent les charnières qui restent encore pour montrer où aurait été la porte, maintenant murée

2 Zone peut-être habitée par des druides qui auraient été des terrains de sacrifice, mais sur laquelle un château normand a ensuite été construit en 1180. Les constructions normandes comme les églises ont souvent été construites sur des terrains païens et il est possible qu'elles aient été bénies à peu près de la même manière qu'alors , baptisé dans le sang, suivant les coutumes pour éviter le malheur.


Loftus : La salle des rêves - Histoire

Loftus Hall Construit à l'origine comme un château en 1170, Loftus Hall est aujourd'hui un manoir rénové.

Depuis sa construction en 1350, Loftus Hall est resté une merveille architecturale. Bien que ce magnifique manoir géorgien à Fethard-on-Sea, en Irlande, ait longtemps été vénéré pour sa beauté, il a également inspiré la terreur pour ses histoires effrayantes de fantômes.

La légende raconte qu'un homme mystérieux a frappé à la porte une nuit de 1775 et, bien que tout semblait normal au début, la famille a vite découvert qu'il était le diable lui-même. Comme le raconte l'histoire, lorsque la fille du propriétaire a vu ses sabots fendus, elle a été traumatisée pour le reste de sa vie – et son esprit a erré dans les couloirs depuis.

À ce jour, les propriétaires les plus récents du Loftus Hall proposent aux visiteurs des visites hantées et des nuitées effrayantes. Et bien qu'ils aient mis le manoir de 22 chambres en vente pour 2,87 millions de dollars en 2020, celui qui possède Loftus Hall à l'avenir doit sûrement aussi embrasser son héritage hanté.


Loftus : La salle des rêves - Histoire

Une brève histoire de la péninsule de Hook

Hook Head (Rinn Duáin) est un promontoire du comté de Wexford, en Irlande, situé du côté est de l'estuaire des trois rivières sœurs (la Nore, la Suir et la Barrow).

Il fait partie de la péninsule de Hook et jouxte la ville historique de Loftus Hall. Il est situé sur la R734, à 50 km de la ville de Wexford.

On dit que Hook Head a trouvé sa place dans l'usage anglais courant dans le dicton "By Hook or by Crook". Une phrase dérivée d'un vœu fait par Oliver Cromwell de prendre Waterford par Hook (du côté Wexford de l'estuaire) ou par Crook (un village du côté Waterford de l'estuaire).

Salle Loftus

Loftus Hall est un grand manoir situé sur la péninsule de Hook.

Il est situé sur le côté droit lorsque vous vous dirigez vers le phare de Hook, à la pointe de la péninsule de Hook.

Le premier château a été construit sur le site en 1170 par le chevalier normand Raymond Les Gros, qui a changé son nom de famille en Redmond pour s'adapter à une identité irlandaise.

La famille Redmond a construit la Halle en 1350 à l'époque de la peste noire pour remplacer le château.

Il est ensuite devenu connu sous le nom de Redmond Hall et est resté dans la famille Redmond jusqu'aux années 1650 quand il a été donné à la famille Loftus qui étaient des planteurs anglais, dans le cadre de la conquête Cromwellienne.

Redmond Hall est alors devenu Loftus Hall.

Il est devenu la résidence principale de la famille Loftus en 1666 lorsque Henry Loftus, fils de Nicholas Loftus a élu domicile dans le Hall.

Le bâtiment qui existe aujourd'hui a été fortement rénové entre 1872 et 1879 par le 4e marquis d'Ely, John Wellington Graham Loftus en vue d'une visite de sa majesté la reine Victoria. Sa mère Lady Jane Loftus, la marquise d'Ely était la dame de la chambre à coucher de la reine Victoria de 1851 à 1889.

Les rénovations de Loftus Hall ont été inspirées par Osbourne House où dame Jane Loftus a passé beaucoup de temps avec la reine Victoria. Malheureusement, la visite de la reine n'a jamais eu lieu et la famille Loftus s'est retrouvée avec une dette massive après tous les travaux.

À la suite de son décès sans descendance en 1889 et du décès de sa mère un an plus tard, la succession du failli a été mise en vente.

En 1917, Loftus Hall a été acheté par l'ordre des religieuses bénédictines qui y ont résidé pendant 18 ans. Il a ensuite été repris et géré par les Sœurs de la Providence en tant qu'école pour les filles intéressées à rejoindre l'ordre jusqu'au début des années 1980.

En 1983, il a été acheté par Michael Deveraux qui l'a rouvert sous le nom de « Loftus Hall Hotel », qui a ensuite été fermé à nouveau au début des années 1990.

Il appartenait à la famille survivante de Deveraux jusqu'à la fin de 2011, date à laquelle il a été vendu à ses propriétaires actuels, la famille Quigley de Bannow.

La famille Quigley a pris un engagement énorme car la salle était à l'abandon lorsqu'elle a été achetée. Ils ont sécurisé la structure et font des progrès considérables pour régénérer les jardins clos, la cour et la maison afin d'assurer l'avenir du hall Loftus pour les années à venir.

La légende de la salle Loftus

Loftus Hall est seul et austère sur le paysage sombre, cette toile de fond ajoute à son histoire étrange.

On dit que pendant de nombreuses années, il a été visité par le diable, tant de gens des environs sont nerveux d'entrer dans l'endroit après la tombée de la nuit.

La légende raconte que lors d'une tempête en mer, un sombre étranger s'est approché du Hall à cheval après que son navire a été conduit dans le port de Slade voisin avec une mer agitée. Il a été invité à chercher un abri et a passé quelques jours avec la famille Tottenham qui vivait au Hall à l'époque. La jeune Lady Anne Tottenham a été particulièrement séduite par ce sombre inconnu et est tombée éperdument amoureux de lui. Une nuit lors d'un jeu de cartes, elle a laissé tomber une carte et en se penchant pour la récupérer, elle a remarqué que cet étranger sombre avait des sabots fourchus au lieu de pieds. Dès qu'il a réalisé ce qu'elle avait vu, il a tiré à travers le toit dans une boule de flammes.

Anne ne s'en est jamais remise, elle est entrée dans un état de choc et de folie et sa famille l'a enfermée dans la salle des tapisseries de peur que quiconque ne la voie. Elle est décédée quelques années plus tard, encore assez jeune, mais sa mort n'était pas une libération en tant que servante et des membres de la famille ont rapporté l'avoir vue errer dans la maison la nuit. La famille avait le prêtre catholique local Fr. Broaders exorcise la salle mais il ne peut pas exorciser la salle des tapisseries.

Cette histoire a été racontée au fil des ans et beaucoup ont dit qu'il y avait quelque chose à propos de certaines zones de la salle, de son atmosphère, de la température et du sentiment général de malaise.

Depuis que le Loftus Hall a été rouvert au public en 2012 pour des visites guidées, les gens prétendent avoir ressenti et vu des choses dans le Hall qui les ont laissés perplexes.


LOFTUS

Loctushum, Locteshusum (xi cent.) Lofthusum (xii cent.) Lofthus (xii-xv cent.) Loftous, Loftos (xiii cent.) Lofthouse (xiii-xix cent.).

La paroisse contient le bourg de Loftus, et au sud les fermes isolées de High et Low Wapley, (fn. 1) avec Gallihowe, Deepdale et Street Houses au nord. Sa superficie est de 3 744 acres, dont 137 acres d'estran, 6 acres sont couverts d'eaux intérieures, (nf. 2) 885 acres de terres arables, 1 741 acres d'herbe permanente et 457 acres de bois et de plantations. (note de bas de page 3)

L'ensemble du canton s'appelle Loftus, mais, comme en 1308-1309, il est divisé par un ruisseau en North Loftus et South Loftus. (note de bas de page 4)

Entre 1615 et 1633, toutes les terres arables, prairies et pâturages des champs communs et des « ings » de North Loftus ont été partagées entre les agriculteurs qui avaient acheté le manoir. (fn. 5) On dit que le terrain des anciens enclos au sud de la paroisse est de qualité supérieure ici il y a une quantité considérable de bois anciens, et en 1791 Thomas Richardson de l'abbaye de Handale a été récompensé par la Society of Arts pour ayant planté 40 acres de terre avec du bois mixte (fn. 6) qui prospère toujours. Le sous-sol est constitué d'oolite inférieure, de lias inférieur, moyen et supérieur, le sol d'argile forte. Le grès blanc dur est obtenu à des fins de construction (fn. 7) la roche d'alun a été mentionnée dans une lettre à Sir Thomas Chaloner en 1603-1607, (fn. 8) et les travaux d'alun avaient commencé peu avant 1657-8 lorsque la mine a été louée sur un bail par le seigneur du manoir, (fn. 9) qui l'a loué à la Couronne pour 400 £ par an en 1665 (fn. 10) et a refusé de réduire le loyer à 300 £ par an, malgré les menaces de Sir Anthony Ashley Cooper. (fn. 11) Les travaux ont été temporairement suspendus en 1673, et en conséquence la jetée et les Staithes construits pour les ouvriers étaient alors détruits par la mer. (fn. 12) Appartenant au manoir de North Loftus en 1717 se trouvaient les maisons d'alun, les mines et les roches, toutes les autres mines, les épaves, les fosses, les casseroles, les citernes, les charbonnières, les havres et les staiths. (fn. 13) Une diminution de 140 de la population en 1831 a été attribuée à l'état déprécié des travaux d'alun et à l'émigration conséquente vers l'Amérique. (fn. 14) La population aurait plus que doublé en 1861-1871 en raison du début de l'industrie du fer. (fn. 15) La pierre de fer a d'abord été envoyée à Middlesbrough pour être fondue, mais la fonderie de fer Skinningrove est maintenant établie ici. En 1874, la royauté des mines de North Loftus appartenait à M. Anthony Lax Maynard de Skinningrove, celle des mines de South Loftus au comte de Zetland. (fn. 16) Il y a à Loftus des chantiers à bois et des scieries.

La ligne de côte du Yorkshire recule plein ouest dans cette paroisse, formant la grande falaise de Hummersea, qui varie de 300 pieds à 625 pieds de hauteur. À son point culminant se trouve Gallihowe. Middle Gill s'élève près de High Wapley au sud à une hauteur de 650 pieds et coule au nord par le site du prieuré cistercien de Handale ou Grendale. (fn. 17) Il n'y a plus de vestiges, mais en 1808 l'extrémité ouest de la chapelle était visible des squelettes ont été trouvés ici vers 1830. (fn. 18) Une manufacture de coton avait été établie sur le site quelques années auparavant cette date, mais en raison de la diminution de la demande pendant la guerre européenne, les travaux étaient à l'arrêt (fn. 19) et en 1846, ils ont été démolis. (note de bas de page 20)

Après avoir quitté le prieuré, le ruisseau coule vers le nord à travers Wapley, Handale et Loftus Woods, passant par Holywell Farm and Cottage et rejoignant Liverton Mill Beck à l'ouest de Loftus Mill. Un affluent monte par Far and Near Foulsyke à l'est de la paroisse, divise le village de Loftus en deux parties et tourne Loftus Mill (fn. 21) avant de s'unir avec le chef beck, qui alors, comme Kilton Beck, descend dans un petit vallée bien boisée à la mer entre Loftus et Skinningrove.

Loftus, à 1,5 milles à l'intérieur des terres sur la route Whitby et Saltburn, a une gare sur la ligne Whitby et Saltburn du chemin de fer du Nord-Est. Le district urbain formé en vertu du Local Government Act de 1894 (nf. 22) comprend les paroisses de Loftus, Liverton et Skinningrove. Jolie ville, malgré son industrie minière, elle s'est développée autour de son ancienne rue principale, au centre de laquelle se trouvent l'hôtel de ville et l'église Saint-Léonard. Les arbres abondent partout. Il a été déclaré en 1808 qu'un marché hebdomadaire avait été lancé récemment et était une commodité pour les travailleurs d'alun (fn. 23) le marché actuel pour les porcs, la viande et les légumes, qui a lieu le samedi, appartient au marquis de Zetland, qui prétend en vertu une charte ancienne, il est loué par le Conseil du district urbain de Loftus. (fn. 24) Une foire annuelle de la laine a lieu en juin.

Une école primaire publique a été construite par le marquis de Zetland et une école catholique romaine a été ouverte en 1906. Il y a une église catholique romaine dédiée à l'honneur des SS. Joseph et Cuthbert il y a aussi des chapelles congrégationalistes, wesleyennes et méthodistes primitives.

Le messuage capital à Loftus a été donné par Thomas Humet au prieuré de Guisborough au 13ème siècle, (fn. 25) et du 17ème (fn. 26) au 19ème siècle les seigneurs du manoir ont vécu ici. Sir Robert Dundas, qui a grandement amélioré la ville, a construit Loftus Hall. (note de bas de page 27)

Le presbytère a été construit en 1844 et est de style italien.

Une ciste et un squelette ont été trouvés dans un tumulus de Wapley Moor (fn. 28) Cockpit Hill, planté d'arbres pendant de nombreuses années, est censé contenir des restes sépulcraux. (note de bas de page 29)

Rosecroft, aujourd'hui une ferme, est mentionnée au XIIe siècle (fn. 30) et peut avoir un lien avec la place Roscheltorp du XIe siècle. (fn. 31) Les autres anciens noms de la paroisse sont Boythorp, Brakynwath, Selandes, Midilheveth, Fulfredale, Warthouflates, Wartesecteflates, Crudescroft, Croseflat, Blakestayndale, Grundlous, Grenhals super Raclyfes, Westmyewra, Blaberimorgate, Hellwarthoudaleheved, (fn. 32) (xiii cent.) Tibthorpe (fn. 33) (xvi cent.) Alamclose, Lathefield, Scawes, Castle Cliff, (fn. 34) et un proche appelé Scotgate (fn. 35) (xvii cent.) Radcliffe Close, Marrs, Micklehow et Longtailles ferme (fn. 36) (xviii cent.).

Manoirs

Il y avait deux vilains de LOFTUS (fn. 37) en 1086, chacun composé de 4 carucates de terre. Avant la conquête, le comte de Siward de Northumberland détenait ici 4 carucates en tant que «manoir», d'une valeur de 48 £, mais en 1086 déchets. Au manoir appartenait le soke de 'Roscheltorp', Hinderwell, Boulby, (fn. 38) Easington, Liverton, Guisborough, Rockcliff, Upleatham, Marske, West Leatham, (fn. 39) Lazingby et Lackerby, (fn. 40) dans tous les 46½ carucates à hongre, et tous, à l'exception d'Easington, ont dévasté. (nf. 41) Avant 1074, toutes ces terres avaient été concédées à Hugh Earl of Chester, (nf. 42) et une amende était encore payée par Loftus for ward au château de Chester à la fin du XIIIe siècle, (nf. 43) bien que les terres d'Earl Hugh soient depuis longtemps passées aux Percy, qui devinrent ensuite des suzerains. (note de bas de page 44)

Du premier Pierre de Brus (nf. 45) une seigneurie mesne est descendue (nf. 46) aux Fauconbergs de Skelton (nf. 47) et d'eux aux seigneurs de Skelton ultérieurs. (note de bas de page 48)

Un sous-locataire Richard Barde aurait été au 13ème siècle le premier seigneur (du Nord et du Sud Loftus) après la Conquête. (fn. 49) Avec le consentement de Roger son frère et héritier, il subifofia le prieuré de Guisborough des services de Robert de Butterwick pour 3 carucates de terre ici, (fn. 50) mais mourut laissant un fils et héritier Geoffrey, (fn. 51 ) peut-être le Geoffrey auquel appartenait Loftus en 1179-1180. (nf. 52) Geoffrey fut remplacé par son parent et héritier (nf. 53) William de Sauchay, (nf. 54) qui, en 1201, cultiva Loftus à William de Stutevill (nf. 55) et traversa les mers. Participant aux ennemis du roi, il perdit ses terres anglaises, et en 1205 le seigneur mesne Pierre de Brus paya une amende pour avoir saisi Loftus. (fn. 56) Les seigneurs de Brus conservèrent le manoir et une partie de la villa entre leurs propres mains (fn. 57) jusqu'à ce que le troisième Pierre de Brus subféfasse apparemment son oncle Simon de Brus, à qui il concéda en tout cas des terres, le moulin , et costume du moulin. (nf. 58) Par la suite, Pierre, décédé en 1272, (nf. 59) a laissé ces immeubles au prieuré de Guisborough afin de trouver un aumônier pour prier pour son âme et celles de ses ancêtres et héritiers. (fn. 60) Le manoir et le moulin ont par la suite appartenu au prieuré de Guisborough jusqu'à la dissolution de cette maison. (note 61)

Le moulin appartenait au manoir à l'époque de Guillaume de Sauchay, (nf. 62) mais avant et après était entre les mains de sous-locataires. On dit qu'elle a été détenue à l'époque d'Henri II avec 3 carucates de terre ici par un seul Tybaud qui a laissé des filles et cohéritières Emma et Maud. (nf. 63) En 1230-1230, Roger de Butterwick, descendant d'Emma, ​​et Roger fils de Peter, (nf. 64) descendant de Maud, se disputèrent au sujet de ces immeubles. (fn. 65) Puis vint un Alexander de Butterwick qui laissa des filles et héritières, Maud, mariée à Peter fils de Humphrey de Lazingby, et Cecily mariée à Thomas de St. Martin, qui concéda en fief à Peter de Lazingby 6s. 5. loyer du moulin. (fn. 66) En 1278, Peter, fils de Humphrey, accorda le messuage capital, close et moulin à côté du messuage capital au prieuré de Guisborough, (fn. 67) et Cecily et son fils William renoncèrent à tous ses droits. (fn. 68) La livre de John fils de Robert de Lazingby à South Loftus est mentionnée en 1305. (fn. 69) Selon une plaidoirie de 1465 'le manoir de South Loftus' a été accordé en 1327 par William de Embleton (Elmedon ) à Richard de Thornton et Denise sa femme et leur descendance, le reste à défaut de cette descendance à William fils de Roger Terry en queue-mâle avec retour éventuel aux héritiers de William. (fn. 70) Suite à l'échec des héritiers des Thornton et Terry, le manoir fut revendiqué par Thomas de Embleton comme arrière-petit-fils du concédant. (fn. 71) Aucun autre historique de cette exploitation n'a été trouvé.

Les Humet tenaient peut-être sous ces familles. Le premier Pierre de Brus aurait accordé une partie de la vill aux "ancêtres de William Humet et d'autres tenanciers" (fn. 72) qui y détenaient 4 carucates en 1272. (fn. 73) Avant cela, cependant, Thomas fils d'Eudo de Humet avait accordé au prieuré de Guisborough la maison d'habitation principale et le moulin à côté du jardin avec son costume et sa piscine. (fn. 74) Les Humet tenaient encore des immeubles dans le sud de Loftus en 1428. (fn. 75)

La Couronne semble avoir conservé le manoir après la cession du prieuré jusqu'en 1602, lorsque le moulin, le clos appelé Tibthorpe, divers messuages ​​et 32 ​​oxgangs de terre, appartenant récemment au prieuré de Guisborough, ont été accordés à Richard Burrell de Londres et à William Allen. (fn. 76) Ces immeubles furent ensuite connus sous le nom de manoir de LOFTUS NORD, (fn. 77) South Loftus se rattachant à Handale. Richard Burrell a vendu le manoir en 1615 à William Duck, (fn. 78) l'un des trois fiduciaires nommés à cet effet par les fermiers de North Loftus, à qui les fiduciaires ont cédé chacun sa propre terre à plusieurs, Philip Wheath, greffier, acquérant le manoir. (fn. 79) Philip mourut vers 1633 et son fils Philip (fn. 80) en 1651 transféra le manoir à Zachary Steward, (fn. 81) DD, frère et héritier de John Steward de ce lieu, (fn. 82) en frais. (fn. 83) Zachary en 1655-1656 avait été remplacé par son fils Zachary (fn. 84) (vivant en 1666), dont la fille et héritière Mary (fn. 85) devait avoir épousé Thomas Moore, car en 1694 et 1695 Thomas Moore , Mary sa femme et Zachary Steward Moore ont fait des règlements du manoir avec une garantie contre les héritiers de Mary. (fn. 86) Le manoir, en tant que possession de Zachary Steward Moore, frère de Thomas Moore d'Angram Grange, (fn. 87) a été enregistré parmi les domaines « papistes » en 1717. (fn. 88) Un garde-chasse a été nommé pour le 'manoir du Nord et du Sud Loftus' en 1738 par Zachary Harmage Moore (fn. 89) 'de la mémoire gaspillée.' (fn. 90) Il a vendu Loftus à Sir Robert Dundas, (fn. 91) ancêtre du propriétaire actuel le marquis de Zetland. (note de bas de page 92)

Beckwith de Handale. D'argent au chevron de gueules fretté d'or entre trois têtes de biches rasées de gueules et au chef de gueules au sautoir engrêlé entre deux roses et autant de demi-fleurs de lis le tout d'or.

Le prieuré des moniales cisterciennes à HANDALE (alias Grendale, xii-xiv 100. Grindale, xvi-xviii cent. Handle, xviii cent.) aurait été fondée en 1133 (fn. 93) par William, fils de Richard de Percy of Dunsley, (fn. 94) fils cadet du locataire en chef de Domesday. A la Dissolution, le site et les dépendances étaient évalués à 40s. (fn. 95) Le manoir a été loué en 1540 à Ralph Beckwith, orfèvre, d'York, (fn. 96) et la réversion du site et le moulin à côté du couvent ont été vendus par la Couronne en 1543 à Ambrose Beckwith, (fn. 97) dont la famille s'est établie ici. Ambrose mourut saisi du « manoir ou message capital » en 1575 ou avant, laissant un fils et héritier Leonard, (fn. 98) décédé en 1624, et Newark, fils de son frère Roger, lui succéda. (nf. 99) Newark est mort en 1656. Son fils et héritier Leonard (nf. 100) a établi un règlement du manoir et du moulin en tant que manoir de « South Loftus » au début de 1660–1. (nf. 101) Les fils de Leonard, Roger et William (nf. 102) sont morts sans enfant, mais Roger, fils de son fils Newark, vivait à l'abbaye de Handale en 1741, (nf. 103) et a nommé un garde-chasse pour ses « manoirs » de l'abbaye de Handale et Wapley en 1748. (nf. 104) Roger, qui est apparemment mort sans enfant (nf. 105) en 1758, (nf. 106) l'a vendu à un M. Sanderson de Staithes, sa fille et héritier épousa Thomas Richardson, dont le prieuré a été acheté par Thomas Stephenson, propriétaire en 1808. (nf. 107) Le manoir a été cédé par John Buckton et Ann sa femme en 1819 à Thomas Jackson, (nf. 108) et en 1846 était la propriété de John Bell. (fn. 109) Elle a suivi depuis la descente de Thirsk (q.v.).

La vile de WAPLEY (Walplo, Walepol, Wapelhou, Walplwe, xiii cent. Walplowe, xiii-xvi cent. Wapley, Whaplowe, xvi cent. Wayplay, xvii cent. Waupley, Woapley, xvii cent.) transmis avec Loftus de William de Sauchay au premier Pierre de Brus, qui le donna aux religieuses de Handale. (fn. 110) Après la dissolution en mars 1544-155, le manoir a été accordé à l'archevêque d'York (fn. 111) et est depuis descendu avec le manoir de Marske (fn. 112) (q.v.).

Église

L'église de ST. LÉONARD a été reconstruit en 1811, l'ancien bâtiment étant décrit par Graves vers 1808 comme un « édifice moyen et humble » dans un état négligé. (fn. 113) Ord en 1846 décrit l'église comme « un édifice simple mais spacieux, construit principalement par Bonomi, dont le génie architectural ne confère pas grand éclat. (fn. 114) À l'exception de la tour ouest, qui reste telle qu'elle a été érigée en 1811, l'église a été presque entièrement reconstruite à nouveau en 1901, certaines parties seulement des anciens murs ouest et sud restantes, et se compose maintenant d'un chœur de 33 pieds 6 pouces sur 24 pieds, sacristie nord et salle d'orgue, nef de 60 pieds sur 24 pieds, bas-côté nord de 10 pieds de large, et tour ouest de 9 pieds carrés, toutes ces mesures étant internes. Il n'y a pas de division structurelle entre le choeur et la nef, les deux étant sous un toit continu de tuiles rouges. Le nouveau bâtiment est de style gothique avec une grande fenêtre en ogive à cinq lumières et des entrelacs perpendiculaires à l'extrémité est, et une arcade de quatre arcs brisés jusqu'à la nef. Il y a un étage clair sur le côté nord et l'allée a un toit de plomb plat. Le bâtiment n'a aucun intérêt architectural. La tour se termine par un parapet crénelé et a un cadran d'horloge sur les côtés nord et ouest vers la ville.

Les fonts baptismaux et les accessoires sont tous modernes et l'orgue date de 1902. Il y a deux cloches, l'une datée de 1811 et l'autre une refonte moderne d'une vieille cloche avec l'inscription en lettres gothiques « Ave Maria gratia ».

La plaque se compose d'une coupe d'argent sans marques et assez simple dans la conception, et une patène avec quatre marques très usées (la lettre date est peut-être celle de 1713), inscrit 'Le don de la Rev . H. S. Hildyard M.A. Recteur de la paroisse, Lofthouse, A.D. 1859.' Il y a aussi un flacon et une assiette en étain. (note de bas de page 115)

Les registres commencent en 1697.

Advowson

Il y avait une église sans prêtre (fn. 116) en 1086. (fn. 117) Guillaume de Sauchay a donné l'église au Prieuré de Guisborough, (fn. 118) et depuis la Dissolution l'aveu a été retenu par la Couronne. (fn. 119) Le vivant est un presbytère.

Les organismes de bienfaisance

En 1735, Thomas Woodill, par testament, a conçu un terrain à Ugthorpe, contenant 5 acres ou à peu près, pour les pauvres de cette paroisse et d'Ugthorpe. La somme de £2, étant une partie du loyer, est distribuée, ainsi qu'un loyer de 12s. versé au titre de la charité de Ralph Robinson, parmi les pauvres, en sommes de 2s. à chaque destinataire. En 1864, Thomas Earl of Zetland a donné 1 666 £ 13s. 4. consols, les dividendes à appliquer pour les écoles du jour et du dimanche.

La chapelle wesleyenne et le cimetière ont été cédés par des actes de 1814 et 1841, et un bâtiment scolaire a été acquis par acte en 1836.

La chapelle connue sous le nom de chapelle Ebenezer, comprise dans les actes du 7 juin et du 19 octobre 1828, a été par un arrêté des commissaires de la charité du 23 juillet 1907 autorisé à être vendu, et le produit utilisé pour défrayer le coût de la chapelle congrégationaliste maintenant érigée sur un site à West Road, qui a été transféré sur des fiducies approuvées par les commissaires de la charité.


Maisons hantées et loges mystérieuses : l'histoire cachée de l'Irlande

The term “historical revisionism” or “secret history” is perhaps the most suitable category to describe a lavishly produced book about an historic mansion tucked away on the tip of the Hook peninsula in southwest Wexford. Loftus, The Hall of Dreams (Maison Noir Press, €125) by Helena B Scott adopts a new perspective and beguiling approach to the history of the house, said to be one of the most haunted in Ireland and known for its psychic disturbances.

Based on a Gothic story supported by historical facts, Scott’s text marries appealingly with Steve Meyler’s striking photographs of Loftus, its demesne and surroundings to create a substantial landscape-style book printed on silk paper. A mysterious and alluring landscape, the peninsula has attracted invaders from monks to Vikings and from Normans to Knights Templar. Previously known as Redmond Hall, its name was changed to Loftus Hall in 1666 following the Cromwellian conquest. Down the years it has masqueraded under many guises and in the 20th century became a convent and later hotel.

Through the use of tarot cards, each representing a specific subject, the author attempts to solve a mystery from the past – a paranormal experience which disturbed her in the hall and which she likens to a crime scene investigation. Containing a wealth of detail, this is not a crime novel nor a traditional textbook, and although some sections read like fiction, no parts are made up. The intriguing story, which embraces ley lines, geomancy and freemasonry, has many surprises and makes history come alive in a distinctive way. The book is best perused during the long winter nights curled up by the fireside when the reader should expect the unexpected.

A completely different approach to the built heritage is taken by Kimmitt Dean, who for 50 years has been gathering information about Ireland’s gate lodges. His third volume in the series, The Gate Lodges of Munster: a gazetteer, (Wordwell, €30) represents an exhaustive study of the history and architecture of 2,775 of these quirky buildings divided by county. The gate lodge was the prelude to the big house, a symbol of the power, status and wealth of the owner to impress passersby and neighbours.

En rapport

Half of the lodges have been demolished, deserted or boarded up, sad reminders of halcyon days but a considerable number of fanciful and ostentatious styles survive. Many are characterful, such as Fota at Carrigtohill in Cork which is lovingly maintained, as well as the exquisite lodge at Muckross in Killarney. The decoratively thatched roof of Deenagh Lodge, also in Killarney, is now frequented by tourists in its new role as a tearoom. One of the most extravagant is Dromana at Villierstown in Co Waterford where the gate lodge, built in the Hindu-Gothic style, is better known than the mansion and comes with copper onion domes modelled on the Royal Pavilion in Brighton.

Dip into this book and you will go on dipping. Written in a brisk staccato style, it features the expressive lingua franca of architecture. You will learn about decorative fascias and entablatured breakfronts, carved bargeboards, ornamental quatrefoil toes, mouth-organ fanlights and a raft of plinths, friezes and cornices. The author has been on his perambulations again and the final volume of his life-long immersion into this huge enterprise will feature Connacht in 2019.

One of Ireland’s best-known castles at Kilkenny, occupying a commanding position over the river Nore, has been home to the powerful Butler family for more than six centuries and is a place where history lies deep. The Chief Butlers of Ireland and the House of Ormond (Irish Academic Press, €50) edited by John Kirwan, is an illustrated genealogical guide with a comprehensive record of the lineage of the Chief Butlers, dukes, marquesses and earls of Ormond and their families.

An illuminating 40-page essay by archaeologist Ben Murtagh outlines the complex history, architecture and archaeology of the castle with details on alterations, renovations and remodelling. Since 1969, it has been in State care and is now a major visitor attraction.

Antiquities of Rural Ireland (Wordwell, €25) by Muiris Ó Súilleabháin, Liam Downey and Dara Downey, sheds light on Ireland’s agricultural and rural past focusing on monuments sometimes overlooked. Divided into seven sections, the book ranges from farming and food-processing, settlement and historical routes, to turf-harvesting, salt-making and kelp-production.

Coastal features explored take in a selection of “old reliables” including Martello towers, coastguard stations, lighthouses and promontory forts. The final section looks at ritual and ceremony covering rock art, wedge tombs, ogham stones, holy wells and the absorbing story of cillíní, children’s burial grounds which occur in a diverse range of landscape settings. Illustrated throughout with maps, aerial photographs, colour images and sketches, this is an instructive handbook to help identify fixtures in the landscape.

Paul Clements is a contributor to the newly published Fodor’s Essential Ireland, 2019. His email address is: [email protected]

Subscriber Only

An index of selected articles available exclusively to our readers with an Irish Times digital subscription


Loftus History

NOTE: Loftus Parish in the 19th century and up to World War II comprised the township of Loftus plus the hamlets of Waupley and Streethouses.

When you set about getting to know Loftus, the first thing to get straight is its name. The Parish registers date from 1697 but the name on their covers read LOFTHOUSE – the spelling as the names of two other Yorkshire villages – both in the west of the county. Loftus in Cleveland kept that early spelling until c1890 so that it is written as Lofthouse on all census returns currently available to researchers. So if an ancestor of yours is recorded as being born at Lofthouse, Yorkshire, it may NOT mean your having to seek out parish registers covering Lofthouse in Nidderdale, or Lofthouse near Leeds – what you want could well be Lofthouse in Cleveland and therefore at Teesside Archives.

Loftus was a pre-conquest settlement, held by Siward, Earl of Northumberland. By the time the Domesday Book was compiled, however, the land around it had suffered a great deal from King William I's efforts to subdue his rebellious northern subjects. Much of it was recorded as 'lying waste'. The Percy family held the land for several generations, and Guisborough Priory owned more than 700 acres of it in the late 13th century.

The Parish Church of St Leonard (rebuilt 1811 and again in 1901), is believed to have dated from the 13th century, although it was almost certainly built on the site of an earlier Saxon Church, as a record of its clergy dates back to 1294.

Two miles to the south of Loftus lies the site of Handale Abbey – home of a religious community founded in 1133, though the ruins of it had all but disappeared at the beginning of the 19th century. From the dim and distant past of this area, a legend has survived (being more durable than bricks and mortar!). Most people will have heard of Wearside's 'Lambton Worm'. Loftus too, was plagued by a fearsome serpent which ate cattle (and fair maidens, of course) until one, Scaw, put an end to it with his trusty sword.

It's a pity that no local musician set the tale to music, as they did at Lambton, then perhaps the name of Loftus in Cleveland would be more widely known. (“Oxford Dictionary of Place Names” mentions Lofthouse in Nidderdale, Lofthouse near Leeds, but its compilers seem to have been unaware that we have a Lofthouse/Loftus in Cleveland).

Such reference books may overlook Loftus in our own times, but it was an important place in 18th and 19th century Cleveland. Unlike Skelton, Brotton and Marske, which were mainly agricultural communities until ironmaking started. Loftus had an 18th century industry – Alum mining. At the beginning of the 19th century, it ranked as a 'Market Town'. Alum miners mostly lived at Streethouses, coming into 'the township for the Thursday market.

Loftus has another distinction that dates back to 1801. Family historians are sometimes heard to lament the fact that England's earliest censuses – 1801, 1811, 1821 1831 include only numbers: no names. All we know about most East Cleveland parishes in 1801 is the number of households, and the number of men and women each contained. Loftus, however can boast something very like a complete census that was taken in 1801.

At that time, it was feared that French troops might attempt to invade the North East coast. Parish Constables in the danger area were required to supply certain information about farm stock, stores of bay and corn, numbers of inhabitants willing to help with defence arrangements, and number who would help if an area had to be evacuated.

Some parish Constables filled in the required returns with mere numbers others listed names of those willing to help. But William Dobson, Parish Constable of Lofthouse, did the job with commendable thoroughness. He wrote down the name of every householder, men as well as women, giving occupations, number of people in each household and the capacity in which each able bodied male was prepared to serve, should the need arise.

For example, we know that one, Joseph Toas, had three people in his household who would need help if evacuation became necessary that he earned his living as a labourer and that he was prepared to undertake the driving of farm stock to a place of safety. William Dobson actually went one better than the census takers later in the century. He recorded Thomas Atkinson, Sailor, absent at sea, and Kenneth McClean, away in prision. No need for researchers to scour the returns for 'strays' in this mini-census.
(You'll find it all in Appendix 3 of “Escape the Monster's Clutches” compiled by M Y Ashcroft. There's a copy in Teesside Archives and the Society also holds a copy) (Library is now at Teesside Archives. Ed)

One name is missing from William Dobson's list. Zachery Moore had been Lord of the Manor at Loftus until a few years before this time, but he was such a reckless spender that he had to sell out to the Dundas family who owned most of Loftus in the 19th century. John Walker Ord in “History of Cleveland” (1846) pays tribute to Sir Robert Dundas who died in 1844 having done a great deal to improve farming standards in the area and improving the quality of life for his tenants. He also built Loftus Hall.

In the 1850's, Loftus seems to have declined somewhat in importance. Whellan's “Topography of the North Riding” (1859) ranks it as a 'village' because its market had ceased to be held, except for the sale of meat. Oddly enough, it was 1857 that Loftus achieved another distinction – it was the first parish in what is now Langbaurgh Borough (Now Redcar & Cleveland – Ed) to open a cemetery. The first grave to be dug there received what the sea had left of a poor chap called William Raine who drowned when the 'Amelia' was wrecked off Staithes. He was washed ashore eight months later.

Then in 1865, Loftus iron mine was opened and the 'village' expanded like a balloon. It acquired a railway link with the rest of the area, and a Town Hall (1879) became the administrative centre for the new Urban District created in 1894. It even had a local newspaper of its own. “The Lofthouse Advertiser” commencing in 1876. Published by Joseph Cooke, who also ran a printer's business, it lasted into the 20th century.

Mining came to an end at Loftus in 1958 and Loftus U.D.C. was aborted by Langbaurgh Borough Council in 1974. (Teesside in 1968, Cleveland then Redcar & Cleveland – Ed.) Loftus has gone back to its village status now but it is a village that has every right to be proud of its history.

Parish registers for Loftus 1697 – 1909 are all at Cleveland County Archives, but some later ones have not yet been deposited. There are also some 18th and 19th century 'terriers' and an apprentice record 1809 – 1827 which could yield useful names. There are also non-conformist records for the area – Loftus and Staithes Methodist Circuit 1853-1966.

Census returns for the parish can be studied both at the archives and Redcar Reference Library. The F.H.S./ 1851 index volume 7 gives all Loftus inhabitants in that year. In its local Collection, Redcar Library has several booklets that will extend your knowledge. “The History of the Church of St. Leonard” by J.R.V Carter (1975) is one “A brief History of Loftus” by former Loftus Librarian Michael Oliver, published in 1984 is another. There are a couple of articles about Loftus Sword Dance team founded 1890, and if you fancy a look at copies of “The Loftus Advertiser” keeping the town ahead with the news between1879-1916, you will find issues for those years on microfilm at Redcar Library.

Lastly Loftus, like Marske, has a museum. Their old iron mine had been turned into “The Tom Leonard Mining Museum” open from April to October, photographs, mining tools and equipment can be seen there. Altogether, there's plenty to help you get to know Lofthouse / Loftus.


by the Late Mary Williams (Originally included in Journal of April 1992)

This version taken from CFH Journal October 2005.

Having many ancestors from Brotton and Loftus I have a keen interest in the area, I have transcribed the 1834 Pigots Directory for Skelton which covers Loftus, Brotton and Staithes in the main.


Transcript follows, I hope it is some use to you

Nivard Ovington in Cornwall (UK)

G.g.g.grandson of Ralph OVINGTON born 1775 Loftus, parents William and Mary living at the Warren and g.g.grandson of Thomas OVINGTON b.1818 and Jane Isabella WEBSTER b.1820 both of Loftus.


From Pigot & Co, National Commercial Directory of Yorkshire 1834

SKELTON, KIRK-LEATHAM, LOFTHOUSE, STAITHES AND NEIGHBOURHOODS.

SKELTON is a village and township, in the parish of its name, in the eastern division of the wapentake of Langbaurgh, North Riding, three miles and a half N. E. from Guisborough. It was formerly celebrated for its castle, which was erected by Robert de Brus, a Norman Baron, who came over with the Conqueror. There are now but few remains of the ancient building existing,
the whole having been modernised in 1794. It was once the seat of John Hall Stephenson, Esq. known in the literary world as the author of "Crazy Tales," it is now the residence of John Wharton, esq. The church, which is dedicated to All Saints, was rebuilt in 1775. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Archbishop of York : the present incumbent is the Rev. William Close. The parish contained, in 1831, 1,241 inhabitant, and the township 781 of that number.

KIRK-LEATHAM is a village and township, in the parish of its name, in the same division and liberty as Skipton, about four miles and a half N.N.W. from Guisborough situate near the mouth of the Tees, and is chiefly celebrated for its hospital, founded and endowed by Sir William Turner, for the maintenance of forty poor persons, viz. ten men and ten. women, and an
equal number of boys and girls. There are a chaplain, a master, a mistress, a surgeon, and a nurse, who have salaries and apartments in the hospital the annual income of which amounts lo about £1,600.An elegant chapel adorns the centre of the building, and over the altar is a
splendid painting on glass. By means of a bequest made by Sir William Turner, a building for a free grammar school was erected in 1709, by the
nephew of the donor. There are, however, no scholars at present on the foundation,the premises being occupied by poor families rent-free. The church is a handsome structure, dedicated to St. Cuthbert the living is a discharged vicarage, in the gift of Henry Vansittart, esq. The parish contained, at the
last census, 1,074 inhabitants, and the township 663 of that number.

LOFTHOUSE is a village, in the parish of its name, (having no dependent township), in the same division, and liberty as Skelton, pleasantly situate about five miles E.N.E. from that town and 9 from Guisborough. The vicinity abounds with stone and alum rocks, the latter being worked to a considerable extent by Sir Robert Dundas, under the able management of Mr. William Hunton, and afford constant employment to nearly one hundred persons, thereby contributing largely towards the support of the village. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard the living is a rectory, in the gift of the crown, and incumbency of the Rev. Sir William Mursay, bart. Here are two Sunday schools, zealously superintended by the Rev. James Bruce, minister of the chapel for independents here. A customary market is held on Thursday, but it is by no means considerable. The parish contained, in 1821, 1,178 inhabitants,and, in 1831, 1,038.

STAITHES is a hamlet, in the parish of Hinderwell, in the same division and liberty as Skipton, 12 miles N.E. from Guisborough, and 11 N. W, from Whitby, situate on the coast of the North Sea, immediately under Cow-bar Nab, Fish curing is the principal occupation of the inhabitants, who are said to vie with Yarmouth in their method of preserving the herring. Sur
one mile hence are the extensive Boulby Alum Works, belonging to Messrs. Baker and Jackson, superintended by Mr. George Westgarth : these works employ many of the industrious poor. Population returned with the parish, which contained, in 1831, 1,881 inhabitants, 1,698 of whom were returned for the township of HINDERWELL, and 183 for that of ROXBY.

POST, SKELTON.-Letters arrive from and are despatched to GUISBOROUGH, daily,


Many Thanks to Nivard Ovington for transcribing the above and allowing us to use it on the site.

NOBILITY, GENTRY, AND CLERGY.
Bruce Rev. James, Lofthouse
Close Rev. William, Skelton
Dundas Right Hon.,Lord, Marsk
Dundas the Hon. Thomas, M.P. Up-Leatham
Harrison Rev. Joseph, Marsk
Hixon Mr. John Ellerby (attorney) Skelton
Hutchinson Mr. Thomas, Brotton
Lacy Jonathan, esq. Up-Leatham
Shaw Rev. Edward, Kirk-Leatham
Smith Rev. William, Hinderwell
Todd Colonel -, Lofthouse
Vansittart Henry,esq. Kirk-Leatham
Wharton John, esq. Skelton castle
Wilkinson Rev. Jos. Up-Leatham

ACADEMIES & SCHOOLS.
Adamson Catherine (brdng) Skelton
Adamson James, Skelton
Bailey Elizabeth, Kirk-Leatham
Binks Edmond, Kirk-Leatham
Cook Jane, Brotton
Creason William, Marsk
Metcalf Dorothy, Lofthouse
Mills Smith, Brotton
Rogers John, Marsk
Rogers Mary, Marsk
Sharp John, Skelton
Ward John, Lofthouse
Watson George, Lofthouse

ALUM WORKS.
Hunton Wm, manager, Lofthouse
Westgarth Geo. manager, Boulby

BAKERS.
Bonnett John, Staithes
Dowson Thomas, Staithes
Hasewell John, Lofthouse
Scott William, Staithes
Taylor Elizabeth, Staithes

BLACKSMITHS.
Bradley Thomas, Yearby
Carter Thomas, Skelton
Bryon Luke, Up-Leatham
Bryon Newrick, Marsk
Kilburn William, Skelton
Parvin John, Marsk
Robinson Isaac, Lofthouse
Robinson Robert, Skelton
Sanders John, Staithes
Savers Anthony, Lofthouse
Smallwood William, Staithes
Walker William, Lofthouse
Young William, Skelton

BOOT & SHOE MAKERS.
Adamson Leonard, Staithes
Bell Robert, Skelton
Brown Mark, Staithes
Brown William, Lofthouse
Bunting Thomas, Skelton
Hatherton John, Skelton
Hebron John, Lofthouse
Jackson William, Staithes
Johnson John, Skelton
Johnson Thomas, Yearby
Lewis John, Skelton
Low Thomas, Skelton
Pindar Jonathan (& clog) Staithes
Seamer John, Staithes
Simpson George, Brotton
Spinks James, Staithes
Thompson Thomas, Brotton
Wilkinson William, Up-Leatham
Wilson Thomas, Marsk

BUTCHERS.
Gibson William, Staithes
Mann Christopher, Staithes
Mann William, Lofthouse
Parks Thomas, Staithes
Stevenson John, Marsk
Ventriss William, Up-Leatham
Walker Thomas, Lofthouse
Walker Thomas, Staithes
Wilkinson William, Skelton
Williamson William & Son, Skelton

GROCERS & DRAPERS.
(See also Shopkeepers, &c.)
Adamson Robert, Lofthouse
Brown William, Lofthouse
Dixon William (& druggist) Skelton
Hutton Richard, Staithes
Longstaff George, Lofthouse
Macnaughten Duncan, Skelton
Macnaughten George, Lofthouse
Moore Ann & Son, Staithes
Moore Thomas, Lofthouse
Patten William, Lofthouse
Shemelds Thomas & Son, Skelton

HERRING CURERS.
Lavrick George, Staithes
Skelton Thomas, Hinderwell
Smallwood William, Hinderwell
Trettles Matthew, Staithes

JOINERS, CABINET MAKERS AND CARTWRIGHTS

Burton William, Staithes Carrick Mark, Skelton Chapman John,

Hinderwell Stonehouse Roger,

Lofthouse MILLERS. Bell James,

Lofthouse Moon Isaac & George,

Staithes Wilson John, Lofthouse

Breckon Elizabeth, Staithes

Gowland William, Skelton Robson Thomas, Brotton

SHOPKEEPERS & DEALRS IN GROCERIES & SUNDRIES.

Beadnall Thomas, Lofthouse

Coates Richard (and bacon dealer) Staithes

Robinson Benjamin, Skelton

Trettles Thomas (aud fish dealer) Staithes

Wilkinson Elizabeth, Skelton

Wilson Christopher, Skelton

Sanders Thomas, Up- Leatham

Bailey Charles, Kirk-Leatham

Shemelds Thomas & Son, Skelton

Brown Mark, Staithes Miscellaneous.

Bradley Robert, bricklayer, Yearby

Brown Addison, ship owner, &c. Staithes

Brown Ths.ship owner & master.Staithes

Dawson Thomas, linen, weaver, Skelton

Gibson William, retailer of beer. Staithes

Laverick Thomas, saddler, Staithes

Overend Thomas, slater, Lofthouse

Toase Thos. brazier & tinman, Lofthouse

Wilson Christr. retailer of beer, Skelton

George Hogarth, from .Marsk, every Tues. and Sat.-and Ths. Johnson, from Staithes,Wed.& Fri.

To STOCKTON, Jonathan Wilkinson, from Lofthouse,every Tues.-and Robt. Robinson, from Skelton, Wed. and Sat. To WHITBY, William Mann & Jonathan Wilkinson, from Lofthouse, every Fri- day, and Thomas Johnson, Thursdays.


Loftus: The Hall of Dreams - History

The Loftus hall which stands today on a baron edge of the Hook peninsula in County Wexford was built over the remains of Redmond Hall in 1870. Redmond Hall had been the residence of the Redmond family since around 1350.

On the 20 July 1642, during the Irish Confederate Wars, Redmond Hall was attacked by English Soldiers. The Soldiers took a ship from Duncannon Fort with around ninety men and two small canons. Alexander Redmond, who at the time was sixty eight years old, barricaded the Hall and prepared to defend it. At his side were his two sons Robert and Michael, some of their tenants, two men at arms and a tailor who happened to be working in The Hall at the time, a total of ten men. The English discovered that their small canons made little impression on the front door of The Hall, and to add to their troubles around half the English soldiers abandoned their captain to pillage the countryside. During the fight a heavy sea mist descended on the Hook Peninsula and the English forces were unaware that an Irish Confederate force in the area, coming to the aid of the Redmonds, had marched up behind them. Around thirty English soldiers escaped to their boat, many were killed including the English captain, with the remainder taken as prisoners. The next day several of the English prisoners felt the hangman’s noose tighten around their necks. On the 20th August a further eleven of the prisoners were hanged at New Ross.

Alexander Redmond was attacked several more times, but received favourable terms from Cromwell. When he died around 1651, his family, however, were evicted.


Where ‘the devil played cards’: Ireland’s ‘most haunted house’ on the market for €2.65m

T he mansion on the Hook Peninsula in Fethard-on-Sea, Co Wexford, was bought by local brothers Aidan and Shane Quigley in 2011 and subsequently opened to the public for the first time in 20 years in 2012.

Its foreboding presence and reputation as the most haunted house in Ireland has led to it becoming a tourist attraction and film location. The 2018 Gothic horror movie The Lodgers was filmed there in 2016.

According to legend, the devil himself is among those said to have visited Loftus Hall, arriving one stormy night in 1775 and befriending the young Anne Loftus.

Invited to play cards with Anne and the rest of the Loftus family, the devil’s identity was uncovered when his cloven foot was seen beneath his clothes.

He is said to have disappeared through the roof of the building, and a large hole remains today.

Although the building underwent an exorcism some years later, the legend persists.

Loftus Hall has established itself as a popular attraction, with tours operating throughout the year and peaking at Halloween.

It is being sold by Keane Auctioneers whose “ghostwriter” describes it as possessing “some of the most beautiful architectural design that can be found in any property of its kind” and “absolutely oozing with potential for possibly a boutique spa, country guest-house or many other commercial applications”.

Aside from its ghostly reputation, its other claim to fame is the ornate staircase in the main hall which was just one of three with the same design in the world. The other was the grand staircase on the Titanic, while there’s a similar one at the Vatican.

“This could be the retreat of dreams, for the house offers unrivalled views all over the Hook Peninsula, St George’s Channel and Dunmore East,” the auctioneers said. It is situated on 63 acres overlooking the sea in what the auctioneer describes as a “one-off, unique setting”.

“It is steeped in history, originally built by the Norman knight Raymond Les Gros (later known as Redmond) and portrays some of the most beautiful architectural design that can be found in any property of its kind.

“From the magnificent entrance/driveway, which leads to the front door, its truly captivating gardens, stone buildings, excellent car-parking, private beach and top quality multi-purpose lands – the house sits on overlooking all of these and takes in unrivalled views.”

Described as having the “potential to make one of the most stately homes in the country” it has 22 bedrooms on three floors, 14 bathrooms, reception and function areas.

“While in need of some extensive refurbishment, it maintains some of its “unique feature including the remarkable hand-carved staircase, magnificent fireplaces, unique architectural features (all with their own legendary stories and tales), to name but a few. "


The Legend of Loftus Hall

'THE Legend of Loftus Hall' dates from 1766, when the house was occupied by the Tottenham family.

L ord Tottenham had married Anne Loftus some years earlier and the couple had two daughters - one called Elizabeth, and other also called Anne - but his wife became ill and died while those girls were still very young, and Tottenham took another wife to assist in the bringing up of his daughters.

At the time, many ships landed on the shores of the peninsula and it was customary for their occupants to take shelter from storms at the great Hall. It was during one such storm, after Tottenham's daugthers had grown into young women, that a ship pulled up unexpectedly at nearby Slade Harbour, and a stranger made his way to Loftus Hall, where he too was taken in. This time though, the storm continued for days and even weeks, and so the stranger continued to reside at the big house.

Lady Anne Tottenham found herself becoming close to the visitor during all this time, and they would spend many hours sitting and talking to each other in The Tapestry Room, before spending the nights playing cards with other members of the family and occasional visitors.

During one of these games, Lady Anne dropped a card, and leaned down to pick it up. She saw a cloven hoof, and began to scream. The stranger had been exposed as The Devil - he immediately disappeared through the roof in a ball of fire, leaving the family shocked in The Card Room, and Lady Anne in a trauma from which she would never recover.

It is said that the family grew embarrassed by her state, and locked her away in the same Tapestry Room where she had spent so much time with the stranger. There she remained until her death in 1775 - and it is from there that her ghost is reputed to have haunted the house and surrounds ever since.

Meanwhile, poltergeist-like activity was blamed on the spirit of the devil for the many years that followed. While an exorcism was carried out many years later by the local Fr Thomas Broaders, it is said it wasn't 100 per cent effective. and that the house is still haunted to this very day.


Next owner of Loftus Hall

Aidan says he doesn't think there's any doubt that the next owner of the house will have a strong interest in the paranormal and in the house's history.

He said: "It's not something you're going to buy and accidentally discover, because it is world-renowned."

According to Aidan, Loftus Hall has a "funny way of picking its own owners".

He observed: "I think the next chapter of Loftus Hall will be an exciting one.

"I would love that the public will always have access to Loftus Hall - I wouldn't like to see it being returned to a private residence."

Aidan, for his part, says he has no regrets about the purchase of the house - saying it has been a very rewarding nine years.


Voir la vidéo: Voir les rêves par Isabelle Arnulf